Tuesday, February 28, 2006

There's a plot in there somewhere...

But I don't seem to notice as I'm incredibly distracted by the style of Jennifer Love Hewitt's character on CBS's Ghost Whisperer. Sure the premise is interesting, with spooky apparitions, untimely deaths and do-gooder morals all neatly wrapped up in a one hour show on the generally boring Friday night network lineup. But all that doesn’t really compare to the luscious and funky vintage clothing that is prominently featured. If I were a size 0, I'd so be wearing crushed velvet jackets, empire style dresses, and peasant tops just like her. The only thing I would avoid is the heavy doe-eyed look that is achieved with obviously fake eyelashes. Her promotional pictures don’t rely on the distracting ones that are used in the show so you have to tune in to see what I mean. On the other hand, her hair is divine and whatever they use- extensions, wigs, or a really good volumizer- makes it an appropriate accessory for everything she’s dressed in.


She is my new style idol.























(On a side note, the opening credits feature a fantastic and surreal dream collage style sequence done by Digital Kitchen Studios. You can view the clip at their website. It’s interesting to note that they have done the opening credits for House, Six Feet Under, Nip/Tuck, the über cool Jade Empire video game, and the newest Sundance Film Festival spots. Their style reminds me of the opening sequence to the brilliant HBO show Carnivàle, which you can still view here.
The show's cancellation was a tremendous blow to superior television programming and I’m still grieving to this day. How did a show about Tarot, the Dust Bowl and Depression, carnival freaks, supernatural psychic phenomenon and demonic forces somehow get left by the wayside after an unsatisfying 24 episodes? I’ll never know. But I'm pretty sure that Ghost Whisperer isn't going to suffer the same fate- the writing and acting are simply no match to Carnivàle. This show isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Of course, I'm not a TV exec, so what do I know?)

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I liked Carnivale too, at least at first. It had some great performances by Clea Duvall and Ben Hawkins. I liked the opening theme music. But I think it got cancelled because ultimately it wasn't much of a story that people could relate to. New weird and disturbing things happened every week, but there didn't seem to be much point to it.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home