Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I hate to admit it…

But I love reality television. It’s so much more entertaining than sitcoms or constant re-runs of movies. I hate being addicted to TV but it makes it easier to forget when all these shows are on 24 hours a day. Real World, Airline, Survivor, Big Brother, Family Plots, Sell This House, House Hunters, and now Growing Up Gotti.

I caught my first full episode of Growing Up Gotti last night. I didn’t think I could feel sorry for someone so famous with all that money and hair extensions. But I think Ms. Gotti’s life kind of sucks. She’s trying to raise 3 teenage boys by herself. From the looks of it, it’s really hard. Even when you’re a Gotti. Those boys are such little punks. Isn’t there a military boot camp for rich little brats that they can be shipped to? James and I were watching the show and he commented on the fact that they run around wild. He said it had to do with the fact that there was no male authority figure around to keep them in line. I gave him the death stare, as in, “how dare you say something so sexist and stupid!” I tell him that it is totally possible for one parent to raise children without the other parent; they just have to compensate for it.
But low and behold, after the commercial break, when Ms. Gotti has forbidden one son from going to his after-prom and has scolded another son for driving his camouflage golf cart on the street, the audience sees her breaking down crying. She complains to her staff about how hard it is to raise the boys without a father. They don’t listen to her; she has no authority and no control over them. James is all smug, thinking he got me. But I still say that it’s possible to go at child rearing alone. You gotta be tough as nails. And even if you're a Gotti, you might not have what it takes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home