Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The weight is almost over

Well as of noon today, I hit 57 pounds lost. That makes 57 to go. I have never gotten this far on my weight loss efforts before. This feels permanent. I hope that it is. I KNOW THAT IT IS. I am halfway home and more than that, I am only 16.5 pounds from my magical happy weight number! People who have never been seriously fat will not know what this is. This magical happy number is different for each person trying to lose weight. It may or may not be the ending number (in my case, it's not) but it has some sort of significance for the person. My magical happy number is 199.5. Why? Because I can't remember a time in my adult life when I have weighed less than 200 pounds. In fact, I can't ever remember being under 200 even though I probably didn't hit 200 until around 9th grade or so. It's always been a given for me. I came real close to it 8 years ago. I was on Weight Watchers and doing really well for 8 months. I had gotten to 207.5 and then the bottom dropped out when I took on too much stress with work and school. The weight just gradually went back on. I did try again, about 5 years ago and lost somewhere around 30 pounds. But it was really a half-assed effort.

This time, however, I am bound and determined to keep the weight off. When I hit 240, 230, 220, each time I vowed never to go above that number again. I refuse to. I can’t live life in this condition anymore. I have to be skinnier & healthier. I want to be able to walk a flight of stairs & not feel like falling over (which I can do just fine now).

This weekend at the air show, many spectators brought along folding lawn chairs for the general seating area. The newer ones have tags on them that warn of maximum weight allowed. Last year, while searching for camping gear, I remember having a tough time finding a chair that could hold my weight comfortably. There was maybe one type that Walmart carried that held over 270 pounds. This weekend, I had a chance to glance at the tag on the chair next to me. It was designed for a maximum weight of 225 pounds. I can sit in that chair, and many more for sale on the market and be just fine. I don’t have to worry about bending the little stick legs anymore. One less thing that I can potentially break.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home