Saturday, July 30, 2005

Relay For Life

I made it to the Lane Community College campus last night to walk with my team for Relay For Life. This year, 150 teams participated in RFL and it sounds like that's a record. Final tallies aren't available yet (the event ends at noon today) but the goal is $500,000 in donations. As of July 20th, our team donated over $16,000.

I signed up to walk 2 hours and due to an injury earlier in the week, I was afraid I might not make it 20 minutes. I popped as many aspirin as I could, laced up my new sneakers and set off around the track a little after 8 pm. I was able to go till 10:15 (with just a couple minutes worth of breaks). I enjoyed walking this year as I'm healthier now than the past two years. I was even able to jog around the track several times. I lost track of how many miles I walked total did but it was probably in the range of 3-5 (I wished I had been able to do more, especially since I needed to work off a couple slices of Costco pizza!).

I think it's important to participate in RFL not only to remember those that have passed away and those that have survived, but also because it's crucial to take care of our own bodies and try to limit the risk of getting cancer. I was reminded of that as I sprinted around the track, my feet thumping on the ground, my breath pushing in and out of my body, sweat running down my forehead, the wind cooling my back and the calmness that I felt deep down.

I have some more pictures that I snapped after the sun went down so stay tuned…

© Punkin Dunkin Productions

© Punkin Dunkin Productions

© Punkin Dunkin Productions

© Punkin Dunkin Productions

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home